The development of research platforms gives GRAL researchers access to high-end innovative equipment allowing them to decipher and integrate knowledge on the structure and dynamics of biological molecules in space and time, to understand their function in the cellular context.
With the success of the « Infrastructures Nationales » FRISBI and ProFI projects, GRAL’s research labs are in a position to strenghten state-of-the-art platforms. Within GRAL, efforts are concentrated on making maximal use of these platforms. GRAL platforms have been and are supported by:
- The purchase of mid-size equipment
- The recruitment of engineers and post-docs for methodological developments on the platforms (GRAL1)
- The reorganisation of existing platforms: a new Joint Service Unit (UMS 3518, www.isbg.fr) for integrated structural biology was created on 1st January 2013. The unit unified the technical platforms of IBS and of the Unit of Virus Host Cell Interactions in order to facilitate advanced research by the national and international scientific community and by private companies.
- The financial contribution of the running costs of the GRAL platforms, in order to maintain the platforms at state-of-the art level and to secure access for the GRAL research teams at reasonable costs.
An access to platforms at controlled prices:
Besides the National Infrastructures financing, the institutes have to find ways to maintain their platforms at the best level while allowing research teams an access to cost-effective prices.
- 40 staff at work, 25M€ investment, 3M€ annual budget including 500k€ maintenance costs
- Forecasted use of platforms by GRAL teams: minimum 50%