The development of platforms gives access to the researchers of GRAL at excellent equipment allowing them to decipher and to integrate the knowledge on the structuring and the dynamics of proteins, to understand their function in the cellular context.
With the success of the projects « Infrastructures Nationales » FRISBI and ProFI, GRAL’s partner institutes are in a position to consolidate state of the art platforms which is a cornerstone of GRAL’s activities. Within GRAL, efforts are concentrated on making maximal use of these platforms. GRAL platforms were supported by :
- The purchase of mid-size equipment
- By the recruitment of Engineers and Post Docs for methodological developments on the platforms
- The restructuring of the existing platforms: A new Joint Service Unit (UMS 3518) for integrated structural biology has been created. Open since 1st January 2013, the unit unifies the technical platforms of the IBS and of the Unit of Virus Host Cell Interactions (BIG) in order to facilitate advanced research by the national and international scientific community and by companies.
- The financial contribution of the running costs of the GRAL platforms, in order to maintain the platforms at state-of-the art level and to secure access for the GRAL teams at a reasonable cost.
An access to platforms at mastered prices:
Besides the National Infrastructures financing, the institutes have to find ways to maintain their platforms at the best level while allowing research teams an access to mastered prices.
- 40 staff at work, 25M€ investment, 3M€ annual budget including 500k€ maintenance costs
- Forecasted use of platforms by GRAL teams : minimum 50%